Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Julie Burchill Misoverestimates Bush

By Ben Trott

Whilst now former-Vice President Dick Cheney was doing his back in moving out of Washington, I spent Monday writing a response to Julie Buchill's thoroughly absurd article in the British tabloid newspaper, the Sun. In the article, which I mentioned on Sunday, she tries to demonstrate the hypocrisy of those who criticise W.

In replying, I realised there was every risk I was taking her argument more seriously than she took it herself. The reason I decided to write the piece, though, was because I felt there was, in fact, an element of truth to what she was saying. Bush-whacking has tended to involve some real analytic reductionism, as well as an obscuring of both the record of previous US administrations and the role played by other governments and non-state actors in, for instance, the 'war on terror' and its facilitation. But, in true Burchill style, she ends up taking things far too far in the opposite direction, portraying him as a peace-nik defender of gay rights who dealt with the Katrina disaster splendidly.

My reply was published on the Guardian's 'Comment is Free' site earlier today. Here is the link again, in case you missed it above.

No comments: